Buffalo Bills vs. Steelers: 3 Matchups that will be key
By Randy Gurzi
2. Cody Ford vs. T.J. Watt
Bills right tackle Cody Ford has a lot of talent but is still new to the NFL. Selected in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft out of Oklahoma, Ford has been starting at right tackle and has had his share of ups and downs.
More from BuffaLowDown
- Buffalo Bills got it right by selecting O’Cyrus Torrence in the 2023 NFL Draft
- Grading Buffalo Bills drafting Dorian Williams in 2023 NFL Draft
- Grading Buffalo Bills drafting O’Cyrus Torrence in 2023 NFL Draft
- Fred Jackson set to announce Round 2 draft pick for the Buffalo Bills
- Buffalo Bills Draft: Explosive playmakers to target on Day 2
On Sunday he will face one of his toughest competitions to date as he will line up opposite T.J. Watt.
The Steelers third-year edge rusher has been incredible at getting after quarterbacks ever since Pittsburgh took him in the first round in 2017. He had 20 sacks in his first two seasons and is on pace for the best statistical season of his career with another 12.5 sacks this year with three games left to play.
Watt is explosive off the edge and his speed will give Ford fits. The rookie won’t win every battle but he has to be able to keep Watt from wrecking the game — especially on third downs.
If he can hold off the edge rusher and give Josh Allen time to pass, it will go a long way toward helping the Bills offense get into a solid rhythm.
If not, this could become a defensive battle similar to Week 14 and the offense has already admitted they don’t want to do that to their teammates on the other side again.