Breaking down the hate: Argument #2
“He had one great catch, no way you pay him $20 mil/year!”
First of all, the catch vs. Dallas was sick. That wasn’t the only play he made though. Watch more than Sunday Night Football.
What he has done in his first three seasons (excluding 2017, missed 12 games) is remarkable. Receivers rarely find success early due to the steep learning curve of the NFL. Go look at the stats of the rookie receivers from the last two years.
More from BuffaLowDown
- Buffalo Bills were ready to trade back if they couldn’t get Dalton Kincaid
- Grading Buffalo Bills drafting Dalton Kincaid in 2023 NFL Draft
- How the Buffalo Bills can win Day 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft
- Buffalo Bills having conversations about trading for DeAndre Hopkins
- Buffalo Bills Draft Rumors: Bills linked to this shocking first round target
He is already a 3x Pro Bowler and is averaging about 7 rec, 94 yards per game. He also has 38 touchdowns over a 47-game span.
His numbers are ridiculous considering he had to play in a terrible offense that provided his quarterback with minimal protection (McAdoo was bad).
Odell Beckham Jr. deserves his money and the Bills could give it to him. They could make the trade and offer him a contract filled with guaranteed dollars. According to Spotrac.com, the Bills have over $16 million in cap space for the 2019 season and $62 million in 2019.
Another factor in the potential contract would be the Bills drafting a quarterback this year. Having a quarterback on a rookie salary will allow the Bills to have financial flexibility to sign Beckham to contract he’d like.
Having a quarterback under contract at $5-$7 million a year, rather than $25-$27 million makes this complaint obsolete.