The New Orleans Saints drafted a total of 7 players in the 2017 NFL Draft and made just one draft day trade.
The New Orleans Saints picked at No. 11 — just one spot after the Buffalo Bills‘ original first round draft pick. With that pick, they drafted the best cornerback in the draft, while the Bills traded down to draft a cornerback with the 27th pick (also securing a 2018 first round pick).
The Saints then surprised everyone by selecting OT Ryan Ramczyk out of Wisconsin, which wasn’t really a need for them. The rest of the draft focused on defense as they added a full safety, outside linebacker and two defensive ends that will all provide quality depth.
They also signed a talented running back in the third round, but it didn’t make much sense since they signed Adrian Peterson. Mixed with the veteran leadership the Saints already have, this draft class should provide good production throughout the season.
You also have to remember that this will be Week 10, so these rookies will be broken in by then.
Let’s look at that one trade the Saints made this year:
- The Saints traded their seventh round (229) and 2018 second round to the 49ers for a third round (67).
And the seven players drafted:
- Round 1 (11): Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Round 1 (32): Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
- Round 2 (42): Marcus Williams, FS, Utah
- Round 3 (67): Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
- Round 3 (76): Alex Anzalone, OLB, Florida
- Round 3 (103): Trey Hendrickson, DE, Florida Atlantic
- Round 6 (196): Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE, Miami (Fla.)
The Saints were definitely busy in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft, selecting six of their seven players in those rounds. They had just one pick after the third round, taking a risk on a player that has a lot of character issues and off-the-field problems.
Overall, I would watch out for Lattimore and Williams. I’m not sure how the Saints will use Ramczyk, but he could be another name to watch out for. Also, Alex Anzalone has a good chance at becoming a starter.
Let’s move on to Week 11 when the Bills travel to LA to take on the Chargers.