The Kansas City Chiefs drafted a total of 6 players in the 2017 NFL Draft and made four trades during the draft.
The Kansas City Chiefs didn’t draft players that are going to stand out day one, but will likely see it all pay off over time. The obvious is Pat Mahomes, who the Chiefs traded up to get with the Buffalo Bills. He won’t be a starter right away, but could be one of the next big quarterbacks.
After Mahomes, the Chiefs drafted a defensive end and running back that will also provide more and more value over time. After that, things got a little questionable. The Chiefs drafted a wide receiver that needs a lot of development, a linebacker that probably would’ve gone undrafted and a full safety that needs some development.
Of all the rookies they drafted, I think Mahomes will be the best pick over time, with Tanoh Kpassagnon close behind him. Right away, I see Kareem Hunt making some big plays for the Chiefs.
Who knows, maybe Mahomes is starting by Week 12.
Let’s look at the four trades made by the Chiefs, which included the Buffalo Bills:
- Chiefs trade their first round (27), third round (91) and 2018 first round to the Bills for a first round (10).
- Chiefs trade their third round (104), fourth round (132) and seventh round (245) to the Vikings for their third round (86).
- Chiefs trade two fifth rounds (170, 180) to the Vikings for a fourth round (139).
- Chiefs trade TE James O’Shaughnessy and a sixth round (216) to the Patriots for a fifth round (183).
And now the draft picks:
- Round 1 (10): Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
- Round 2 (59): Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
- Round 3 (86): Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
- Round 4 (139): Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan
- Round 5 (183): Ukeme Eligwe, OLB, Georgia Southern
- Round 6 (218): Leon McQuay III, FS, Southern California
Week 13 starts a weird ending to the regular season, where the Buffalo Bills will play the Patriots twice and Dolphins twice in the final five games. Week 13 will be against the Patriots.
Let’s see what they did in this year’s draft — like anyone cares.