Aug 16, 2013; Orchard Park, NY, USA; A view of the Heads Up Football logo on a Buffalo Bills players helmet before a game against the Minnesota Vikings at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports
The Buffalo Bills have a long history with just about something that has happened everyday of the year. April 22nd is no different. Here is a look back at what has happened on April 22nd for the Buffalo Bills.
– Bob Chandler was with the Buffalo Bills for the seasons from 1971 – 1979. He led the NFL in receptions from 1975-1977 with 176. He finished his career with the Raiders in 1982. For his career Chandler totaled 370 receptions for 5243 yards and 48 touchdowns.
– Phil Villapiano was a LB with the Bills at the end of his career. He played with the Bills from 1980-1983. He was selected to 4 Pro Bowls and was known for making big plays.
April 22, 1990 — CB JAMES WILLIAMS IS BILLS’ 1990 NO. 1 PICK
CB James Williams was the Bills’ No. 1 pick (16th overall) in the 1990 NFL Draft.
– Williams played in the NFL for 6 seasons. He was with the Buffalo Bills from 1990 until 1993. He played for the Cardinals in 1994 for one season and then returned to the NFL in 1996 to play with the 49ers. James was the first player to wear the number 31 for the Bills as it was retired for the spirit of the Bills. Since Williams, anyone has been allowed to wear the number. It has since been worn by Dwayne Wright and most recently by Jairus Byrd.
April 22, 1993 — BILLS LOSE G MITCH FREROTTE TO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Backup G Mitch Frerotte signed a contract with the Seattle Seahawks, leaving the Bills as a free agent.
– Frerotte played for the Buffalo Bills during the 1987 season. He then returned to the Bills for the 1990-1992 seasons and then was signed by the Seahawks in 1993 which was his last season in the league.
April 22, 1995 — RUBEN BROWN IS BILLS’ 1995 NO. 1 PICK
OL Ruben Brown from Pittsburgh was the Bills’ No. 1 pick (14th overall) in the 1995 NFL Draft.
– Brown is notably one of the best interior lineman that had played for the Buffalo Bills. Brown played for 13 seasons, 1995 – 2003 with the Bills and then went on to play with the Chicago Bears until 2007. With the Bills he was selected to the Pro Bowl 8 times and was selected to 1 with the Bears. He played in 181 games over his career and started all 181.