Jan. 3, 2013; Glendale, AZ, USA: Oregon Ducks head coach Chip Kelly against the Kansas State Wildcats during the 2013 Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
This past week the Buffalo Bills have been making organizational changes and have been making headlines across the country. The coaching search is on as Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix and Jim Overdorf made their way to Arizona to interview a handful of coaches. Coaches from all over the country made their way down there as well to seek out a potential new employer.
Here’s what we know:
Early this past week the Bills met with former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt and former Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton. At this point Horton is more of an unknown, having never coached in the NFL, however, the Arizona defense this past season was a bright spot for the Cardinals. As for Whisenhunt, this past season he guided the Cardinals to a fast start, starting 4-0. The problem was, the team faltered down the stretch which ultimately led to his dismise. He also hasn’t been to the playoffs since Kurt Warner was his QB but he’s considered the front runner for the job.
Then after the Fiesta Bowl is when the fireworks began to happen. In their own version of the “blur” offense the Bills announced late last night former Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith, Syracuse Head Coach Doug Marrone and Oregon Head Coach Chip Kelly had all interviewed for the Bills vacant position. Here’s a breakdown of each of these coaches:
- Lovie Smith:
– Posted a 10-6 record this past season but failed to make the playoffs
– Started this past season 7-1 before losing the 5 of their last 8
– Has made the Superbowl twice in his coaching career, once with rex Grossman as QB
– His former defensive assistant coach was Gil Byrd, father of Jairus Byrd
– Has a career record of 84-66
- Doug Marrone:
– Former offensive coordinator to Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints
– Has posted a record of 25-25 with Syracuse
– Won the Pinstripe Bowl twice in 4 seasons
– Former offensive lineman with the Miami Dolphins
- Chip Kelly
– Has only 7 losses in his career at Oregon
– Credited for innovating the “blur” offense
– Has a 2-2 record in Bowl games
– Coach of the year twice in the Pac10
– Considered a front runner for the Cleveland Browns job
The Head Coaching search continues with the Bills lining up interviews with Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson and Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. Jackson was the former Head Coach in Oakland before being fired after only 1 season.
The Bills brass must do their due diligence in getting the right man for the job this time around. There has been too many blunders when it comes to getting a coach to come to Buffalo. The Bills need someone not only the team can rally around, but the city as well. The Bills need someone who can change the chemistry of the team, change the way things have been done in the past and most importantly CHANGE THE CULTURE. The new coach needs to have “swagger” and a “losing is not acceptable” mentality.
All we can do now….is wait….
You can follow me on twitter @DougRox14