Nov 17, 2013; Orchard Park, NY, USA; New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) lays on the field after a hit by Buffalo Bills outside linebacker Manny Lawson (91) during the second half at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Bills beat the Jets 37-14. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports

Jets/Ravens Match-up: What it means for the Bills?


With the Buffalo Bills on their bye week this week.  The Bills begin to leave their playoff hopes in the hands of others this week.  The game we are going to look at and what it means for the Buffalo Bills and their playoff hopes will be the New York Jets and the Baltimore Ravens.

The Buffalo Bills beat the Ravens earlier in the season in what was an upset type game.  Although looking at where the Ravens sit, they are uncharacteristic for a Super Bowl Champion team sitting at 4-6. Although they are one of the teams that is within reach of the final wildcard spot as is the Jets.

Besides the Jets/Ravens game, there are two other games that have two teams that are playing each other that are vying for the last wildcard spot and are games that the Bills should keep their eyes on.  These are Pit/Cle and Ten/Oak.  All the teams including the Ravens are 4-6.  The Jets stand at 5-5.  We will take a look at the other influential games at another time.

The Bills have a tie breaking game against the Ravens as they beat them head to head.  The Bills have a split with the Jets.  For playoff purposes the Bills would like to see the Ravens beat the Jets this week and move them to a 5-6 record.  A win will also move the Ravens to a 5-6 record as well.

On the stats sheet, both teams are fairly even in total offense.  The Jets are edging the Ravens by less than 20 yards per game in offense.  The Ravens hold the passing stat over the Jets while the Jets are the favorite to run the ball.

Geno Smith is coming off of a game that was probably his worst performance in a Jets uniform and one he would like to forget after being pulled.  Even with Smith being pulled and the loss to the Bills, if the season ended right now the Jets would still hold on to the 6th place spot in the playoffs.

Look for Flacco and the Ravens to take a similar style the Bills did and pressure Smith early and often.

Ravens win 24-17.

 

 

Next Bills Game View full schedule »
Sunday, Sep 77 Sep1:00at Chicago BearsBuy Tickets
Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills New York Jets Playoffs

  • Pingback: Jets/Ravens Match-up: What it means for the Bills? | Sports Feedr

  • chas territo

    Play offs for our Bills? I don’t know or think it’s a real chance of happening.I know stranger things have happened, but it happened to others not us! That bitch “LADY LUCK” does not smile on Buffalo, both teams, Sabres and Bills?!?! I’d love to know if there are odds from LL about Buffalo’s chances.! million to one, maybe?GO BILLS!!

  • Dennis Amo

    Chas, I know there is an outside chance that they even come close to the playoffs but realistically they are still mathematically in the hunt. I know when I checked 2 weeks ago, If Buffalo went 10+6 there was a 70% chance that they would make the playoffs. At 9-7 there is a 30% chance. I know it is a big drop but as Marrone has said in press conferences, as long as they are still mathematically in it they are going to try for it.