Editor’s Note: We’re very lucky here at BLD to be part of Fansided, a wide-reaching network with blogs for every NFL team (as well as a huge selection of NBA, NHL, MLB, and other blogs as well). We’d be dumb not to take advantage of these resources, so welcome to our weekly feature: Behind Enemy Lines. Each week, we’ll be checking in with the staff from the Fansided blog representing the Bills’ opponent for that the week.
This week we’re checking in with Alan Schechter, lead writer/editor of The Jet Press, Fansided’s outstanding Jets blog. Alan’s one of the busiest Fansided editors, always turning out tons of great content. Be sure to check out The Jet Press for the latest Jets-related news.
Anyway, big thanks to Alan for taking the time to answer some Jets-related questions for us as we get ready for Sunday’s huge season opener.
1) Let’s get the obligatory Sanchez/Tebow question out of the way. What are we going to see from this duo Sunday?
Sanchez is the starter, Rex has made no bones about that. We have been waiting, and finally will see the Tebow package unveiled against you guys. Mike Tannenbaum said that Mark Sanchez will take 80-90% of the snaps, Rex won’t comment on that, but he has said that Tim could take as many as 20 snaps if the defense is having difficulty with it. This week, if I had to guess, I would say we will see between 5-10 plays for Tim.
2) As worrisome as the QB situation has to be for Jets fans, the depth at wide receiver is certainly a question mark as well. Has anyone stepped up to provide a real threat alongside Santonio Holmes?
Not really, and that scares us as Jets fans. Stephen Hill is going to start on Sunday, and they hope to see him break out as a deep threat, but we just don’t know. It certainly will be interesting to see on Sunday if anyone steps up.
3) This pains me as a Bills fan, but I think very highly of the Jets defense. The corners get a ton of the attention and credit (rightly so), but who are the other main guys in this unit that real make this defense tick?
Watch out for the front seven on the Jets defense. Bart Scott is highly motivated to be his old self, and that is music to the Jets ears. Your old friend Aaron Maybin is coming into his own in the Jets system, and the Jets are very deep on the defensive line. This defense is going to be tough to stop. There also is a new sheriff in town in the defensive backfield, and that is LaRon Landry. He will put a hit on anyone and everyone coming across the middle.
4) Any breakout candidates on this team we should keep an eye out for Sunday?
With Sione Pouha not playing, look out for Kenrick Ellis on the defensive line on Sunday, as he will have a huge chance to make a big impact, and the Jets love this guy. Mo Wilkerson too, watch out for him. On offense, they have newly annointed third down back Bilal Powell who has impressed in training camp.
5) How about a prediction for the game?
I do believe the Jets will continue their success against the Bills on Sunday. If the offensive line can stop Mario Williams and friends, I say probably a three-five point win for the Jets.