ESPN’s Scouts Inc. has released its list of the top players at every position in football, and to no one’s surprise not many Bills are gracing the tops of these lists. (In fact, Scouts Inc. only put one Bill in its list of the league’s top 2oo players: DT Kyle Williams, who was ranked 37th.)
I thought several Bills were rather underrated on these lists (Fred Jackson is better than the 30th-best RB in the NFL), but one ranking stood out as especially ridiculous: Ryan Fitzpatrick was ranked as the 32nd-best quarterback in the league. 32nd. For reference, there are only 32 teams in the league.
Now, I’m not saying Fitz is an elite quarterback (although he looked like one in the last preseason game), but he was certainly better than the 32nd-best QB in the league last year.
Here’s Fitz’s numbers from last season: 57.8% completions, 23 TD, 15 INT, 81.8 “traditonal” QB rating, 48.7 QBR. (QBR is a new stat to rank QB play developed by ESPN. Fitz ranked 17th among NFL QBs using that stat last year.)
Those numbers aren’t fantastic, but they certainly aren’t horrible. Now let’s consider some of those who Scouts Inc. ranked ahead of Fitz:
- Miami’s Chad Henne (ranked 23rd) - 15 TD, 19 INT, 41.4 QBR. And if anything, Henne was even worse than his numbers last year.
- New Miami QB Matt Moore, who was with Carolina last year (ranked 26th): 5 TD, 10 INT, 55.6 “traditional” rating. Benched by the worst team in football for freaking Jimmy Clausen.
- Former Washington/now Minnesota QB Donovan McNabb (ranked 18th) – 14 TD, 15 INT, 41.0 QBR. Did Scouts’ Inc. watch a game from last season? McNabb was awful.
- New Arizona QB Kevin Kolb (ranked 25th) – 7 TD, 7 INT. He put up mediocore stats despite playing for a loaded team in Philly. Not impressed.
- Denver’s Tim Tebow (ranked 27th) – 5 TD, 3 INT. Seriously? Tim Tebow? Yeah, this list just lost all credibility. Tebow can’t beat out freaking Brady Quinn for second-string in Denver. He’s not the 27th-best QB in the league.
There’s a few other guys that should not be ahead of Fitz – Alex Smith, Jon Kitna, Shaun Hill…but you get the idea. Scouts Inc? More like Scouts Stink! Am I right, folks?
Tags: Ryan Fitzpatrick