Ok, so I couldn’t get our site’s comment page to work correctly, so I just wrote this as a new post altogether.
Read Brad Andrews’ post first.
You don’t think he meant pre-season games? Where they normally test out young unproven players? I’m as excited as anyone to see the success that he has had.
On the other hand…how could Gailey give this kind of praise if he did not plan on putting him on the 53 man roster? If he builds him up and builds him up and then cuts him, wouldn’t that mean that other teams would be more likely to pick him up off of waivers? Teams like the Colts, Chiefs, Raiders, Jaguars? There’s only 2 possible explanations.
(1) He really will make the team.
(2) Gailey is trying to pull a fast one by diverting attention to him, and away from other players who he has to cut, but doesn’t want others to notice. The Bills have 11 WR’s right now. By order of importance, Lee Evans, Stevie Johnson, Buster Davis, Marcus Easley, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt, Kamar Aiken, Paul Hubbard, and Felton Huggins. Assuming the Bills keep 7 WRs (which is a lot and probably won’t happen) Naaman Roosevelt would not make the cut along with 3 others. Paul Hubbard and Felton Huggins will not make this team and probably will not get picked up somewhere else. Leaving Roosevelt and Kamar Aiken. Kamar Aiken is 6’1, 213 Lbs and impressed many scouts during his pro-day with the following stats: 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds and 4.50. He had a 36 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-8 broad jump, a 4.36-second short shuttle and a 7.10 3-cone drill. He was projected to be a late round draft pick (NFLDraftScout.com). Also… Gailey recruited him when he was with Georgia Tech. Roosevelt was not nearly as impressive and does not have the typical size, strength or production when compared with Aiken.
So we have three options or a combination of all three…
(1) Pick someone from the top seven to get rid of and keep Roosevelt
(2) Have Roosevelt and Aiken be exposed to waivers and risk losing both of them
(3) Maybe switch David Nelson to a TE and make room?
Or maybe… Trade one of our top WRs making room for Roosevelt. Hmm, where have I heard this before?