The NFL issued a memo to all teams this morning concerning the new positioning of all Umps during the regular season. Jason LaCanfora tweeted what was included in the memo:
1. Umpires will be lined up no more than 12 yards from the LOS. At the beginning of the preseason, they were approximately 15 yards back.
2. Umpire must be beyond the deepest offensive player before ball snapped. Before, ball not snapped until umpire had assumed his position.
3. A line of scrimmage official will signal when legal snap permitted. The original procedure required QB to check with the ref.
4. Umpires will assume a position on the D side of the ball after 2-min warning of the 2nd qtr and inside 5 mins remaining in 4th qtr
5. Umpires will assume a position on the defensive side of the ball when the offense is at or inside the defensive five-yard line.
6. The ref has authority to warn offense for an illegal snap for future action. But a clear violation can be called without warning.
Refs and ump will meet on Friday in Dallas to review the preseason and the mechanics of the umpire position. Hope is streamlined process ..